The Barracuda WebDAV Server plugin is secure file sharing software that lets users easily access files on the server from any type of client computer such as from a PC, iPhone, Android, Linux, etc. The file server uses WebDAV which is a set of extensions to the HTTP(S) protocol that allows a web server to appear as a standard network drive. WebDAV clients are native to Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc.. No software needs to be installed on the client computer, and one can simply map/mount a drive from one of these operating systems to the WebDAV server.
WebDAV Server Versus SMB/CIFS
You may be familiar with sharing files via your company file server using SMB/CIFS on your local Intranet. This is suitable for a closed network, but unsafe over the Internet. WebDAV is different from SMB as it uses HTTP for transporting files and is designed from the ground up to be secure on the internet. The HTTP protocol is the same protocol used by web-browsers. WebDAV can also use HTTPS, secure and encrypted HTTP, allowing no one to eavesdrop on your file transfer. The Secure File Server can bypass company firewalls and proxies since the communication protocol is HTTP. Consequently, it is possible to securely access your files from anywhere.
WebDAV Versus FTP
The WebDAV server is much easier to use than a typical FTP server since you access the remote file server as a standard drive. WebDAV is a more modern protocol than FTP and can be seen as the successor to the FTP protocol.
Web File Manager
The WebDAV server can be used “as is” or it can be used in combination with our Web File Manager. The two products, when combined, are referred to as the Web File Server in our documentation. We recommend that you download our BarracudaDrive consumer product for demo purposes.
BarracudaDrive includes the Web File Server. We also provide a number of video tutorials that show how to use the Web File Server in BarracudaDrive.
Web File Manager Features
- Implements WebDAV Class 1 and Class 2 with relaxed locking.
- Implemented in “C” code as a “C” library and can be integrated with any software.
- Uses our own small footprint XML parser.
- No WebDAV and XML experience required to create your WebDAV server.
- Supports UTF-8 Unicode file names.
- Supports SSL(HTTPS) by using our extremely compact SSL stack.
- Supports unlimited number of concurrent uploads/downloads by using asynchronous sockets.
- Range / Content-Range header support; i.e. can resume broken downloads.
- Supports GZIP compression for uploads and downloads.
- Any number of WebDAV instances can be dynamically created and inserted in the server at runtime.
- Can mount AES encrypted ZIP files and make any number of ZIP files look like network drives.
- Can mount databases, thus making it possible to view a database as a network drive.
- Supports Digest and Basic authentication, thus making it work with clients that support only Digest or Basic.
- Accepts the incorrect domain name added by Microsoft WebDAV clients when authenticating.
- Excellent support for authorization based on rule set, which makes it possible to authorize/deny users and groups access to various resources.
About Real Time Logic
Real Time Logic is a world class IoT security and web-enablement specialist. Their solutions and Ecosystem Partners drive modern real-time embedded applications to ensure the smooth deployment and safe operation of next generation products. More details…
Find out more
For more information on secure file sharing with the WebDAV server plugin for the Barracuda web server please complete the form below.