Tuxera Reliance Edge™ is the only embedded file system designed to capture and preserve decision-quality data with deterministic behaviour required by today’s autonomous systems. Reliance Edge is a transactional file system that protects critical system and user data from corruption specifically for systems where power loss may occur.
Reliance Edge is a complete flash file system when used with a flash translation layer flash driver like FlashFX Tera, or a flash software driver. Reliance Edge continues the legacy of file system products in the Reliance family that have shipped in hundreds of millions of devices and is supported by Tuxera’s award-winning support organisation. For devices using SPI NAND flash a dedicated product called Reliance EdgeNAND is available.
Reliance Edge can be configured to meet the specific needs of your application by reducing complexity, optimising resource use, and maximising performance. Whether your application requires a single log file, a pre-defined set of files with fixed names, or complete flexibility to modify file hierarchy during runtime, Reliance Edge has easy to understand options.
At its heart, Reliance’s Edge’s reliability and fault-tolerant operation is a result of a transactional approach that is much the same as an embedded database: either all changes to the disk are completed or it rolls back to a state where no changes were made. This transactional model was chosen over the journaling file system model in order to keep file system metadata and user data in sync during file system changes
Reliance Edge Key Features
- Rock-solid meta and user data reliability
- Reliable operation does not require media having atomic sector writes
- Ideal for resource-constrained environments, Reliance Edge can be configured to use as little as 4 KB of RAM, 12 KB of code
- Simple, easy-to-understand architecture makes implementation quick and efficient
- Atomic transaction model protects both user data and meta data from corruption
- Boots quickly and consistently even after unexpected shutdown or power loss
- Includes tools for disk image creation on a Microsoft Windows-based workstation
- Quicker to implement and more cost-effective than file systems you build yourself
- Replaces or coexists with other file systems
- Works with virtually any block device driver supporting HDD, RAM, USB Mass Storage, SD/MMC, or eMMC
- Data stored on removable media accessible on a PC using Image Copy tool
- Pre-ported to FreeRTOS and easily ported to virtually any microcontroller RTOS
- Ships as source code that is MISRA C:2012 compliant
- MISRA C:2012 Design Assurance Package available to commercial licensees
- Open-source version available for evaluation and personal use
- Commercial-use license for those who cannot comply with GPL v2 restrictions or require warranty and support guarantees
Ultimate Control with Determinism
Reliance Edge configuration options allow developers complete control over which features are included, providing ultimate control to make the file system fit your specific use case. Regardless of how it’s configured, Reliance Edge’s key file system operations are deterministic, providing unprecedented predictability.
Full POSIX Configuration:
This configuration includes a full POSIX-like file system API, including path-based file access, file handles, directory operations (including atomic rename), transactions, and file system formatter. Configuration options with support for up to ten tasks, ten open file handles, 512-byte block size, and absolute minimum number of twelve buffers were used to determine code size and RAM requirement.
Small POSIX Configuration:
A reduced code size (ROM) option is illustrated by the Small POSIX configuration, which excludes rename but includes all remaining POSIX-like APIs. The number of buffers used in this configuration was reduced to the new minimum of six, which reduces the RAM requirement. Configuration options were otherwise the same as the Full POSIX configuration.
This configuration includes the full FSE API, which supports read, write and truncate on numbered files, as well as transactions. Configuration options of 512-byte block size and absolute minimum number of five buffers were used to determine code size and RAM requirement.
Tuxera is the leading provider of quality-assured embedded storage management software and networking technologies, helping businesses around the globe store and do more with their data. More details…
Find out more…
For more information on how Reliance Edge can protect your critical data in small footprint, MISRA compliant applications please complete the form below.